If you are a new mum and are dealing with challenges around your mental health and wellbeing, our Mums Matter Project can help you thrive and develop ways to improve you mental health. We currently deliver the programme in Tower Hamlets, Newham and Redbridge.
What is Mums Matter?
Mums Matter is an early intervention service that women can self-refer into or be referenced by other professionals. It is an eight-week course that has been designed for mums who are experiencing mental health challenges in the perinatal period.
The course was designed by and for women with lived experiences of perinatal mental health issues and organisations that deliver services for women.
What our service provides?
Mums will be supported by a local mind facilitator to develop:
- Methods to help them to manage their everyday mental health
- The awareness and understanding it is ok not to be ok and are able to dispel the myths they are told about motherhood
- Tools and strategies to nurture themselves
- Peer support through the service which continues when the structured sessions end.
Benefits of the service
- Women without a formal diagnosis are helped quicker than by traditional methods, for example, talking therapies thereby reducing the burden on those services.
- The number of women accessing formal primary or secondary care for postnatal services is reduced
- Family members are less effected by postnatal mental health problems
- Partners/supporters can support the mother more effectively
- Women can access other community and statutory mental health services through the knowledge and expertise of the local Mind