- Advocacy Tower Hamlets
- Advocacy Havering
- Adolescent Advocacy Newham
- Advocacy Newham NHS Complaints
- Coping With Life
- Counselling - Tower Hamlets
- Counselling - Newham
- External Counselling Projects
- Inspire Mental Health Recovery Service
- LEAP Find a Group to Join
- LEAP Peer Leader Training
- LEAP & Co-Production
- LEAP Group Resources
- Newham Activities
- Newham IPS Employment Service
- Newham Bereavement Service
- RESET Drug and Alcohol Services
- Welfare Advice
- Workshops and Training
Get in Touch
13 Whitethorn Street London E3 4DA
Tel: 020 7510 1081
Fax: 020 7537 7944
Counselling - Tower Hamlets
1. What is counselling?
Counselling is a safe and confidential space to explore thoughts and feelings. People come to counselling to talk about a whole range of issues, including emotional issues such as depression, anxiety, anger difficulties and low self-esteem. Relationship issues such as separation, bereavement, or abuse. Traumatic life events, such as; rape, assault or harassment. Or work related issues, such as stress, bullying or lack of confidence.
Counselling can help people come to terms with or resolve certain issues, clarify ways to move forward or to release painful feelings.
Initially we will offer you a face to face assessment session where we will assess your needs for support and where you can find out more about counselling and how it works here at Mind.
There are many approaches to the counselling work. However the assessment appointment will help us to determine the best choice for each individual.
2. Who is counselling for and where does it take place?
The Mind counselling service is for anyone over the age of 18, and living within the borough of Tower Hamlets. It takes place at Open House, Whitethorn Street which is within walking distance of the bus, tube or DLR. Please note that this service is a primary care service. Anyone who has a diagnosis of personality disorder, schizophrenia or other psychotic disorder will be signposted to secondary care services within the borough.
To make a referral or to self-refer, please complete the referral form and email to email@example.com.
Download Referral form
3. Is there a charge for the counselling?
No – This service is free to everyone who is a resident within Tower Hamlets.
4. When is the counselling available?
• Monday to Fridays from 10am – 4pm
• Thursday evening from 5pm – 9pm
• Tuesday evening from 5pm – 8pm
5. Counselling services
Improving the mental health of the local community by offering one to one counselling and group counselling from a diverse team of counsellors, psychotherapists and counselling psychologists.
MITHN Counselling Services are BACP Accredited and work to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice.
6. How does it work?
If you wish to use our counselling services, please call us on 020 7510 4247/4248. When you call we will take down some basic details, answer any questions that you may have about the counselling and offer you a face to face assessment appointment.
The assessments will take place during normal office hours between 10am and 3pm, Monday to Friday. The reason for this appointment is so that we can assess your needs for counselling appropriately and offer you the best possible service. At the assessment appointment, we will take down some information for our data base as well as some more personal information for your counsellor.
We will discuss your availability and depending on our waiting list we will try to give you a counsellor as soon as a slot becomes available.
We accept self-referrals or referrals via your GP or other professionals.
7. Our counsellors
Our counsellors are either fully qualified or in their final years of training. Our team are mixed in terms of age, gender, race, religion and sexual orientation. We are able to offer counselling in a range of different languages. Please check at the referral stage if we can offer counselling in the language that you speak.
One to one counselling is divided into three tiers:
• Tier 1 is based on short term counselling such as CBT or focussed therapy and is for six weeks. However, this tier is limited to a maximum of 10% of referrals
• Tier 2 is based on mid-term counselling and offers between 8 to 12 weeks. This tier is offered to minimum of 80% of referrals
• Tier 3 is based on long-term psychotherapy and is for 40 weeks. This tier is limited and is offered to a maximum of 10% of referrals.
We also offer one to one Art Therapy. This is where various creative mediums can be used to express individual feelings and emotions. This form of therapy can be helpful for those who find it hard to express themselves with words and for those who have experienced some form of trauma.
- Our WorkTake a look at the work we are doing in the local area
DonationsSupport our work and make a difference
VacanciesFind out about opportunities to join our team
ReviewsWe want to hear about your experience